Using a website to distinguish myself from the competition in a job search
You’ve made the leap to look for a more rewarding job or maybe you’re unemployed and looking to re-enter the market. Either way, there have never been more applicants per job opening. The COVID-19 fallout has displaced many from their jobs. Businesses are running on tighter margins and can be pickier with their applicant process.
Whether you’re looking to pursue your dream job or just get back into the workforce, finding a way to distinguish yourself from the crowd of applicants is imperative for your success. Submitting a traditional resume to a company and crossing your fingers that they will invite you to interview will not work anymore. You need to stand out by showing off your skills, experience, personality and the value you will bring to them.
What Will a Professional Job Seeker Website Do for Me?
Imagine you are a human resources manager, sitting behind a desk with an inbox full of resumes that all look the same. However, you’re resume is modern, concise and easily draws their attention to your skills and experience. Then, they spot a web address on your resume. Hiring managers are always looking for more information to narrow down their list of job candidates that they would like to interview.
Having this extra information about your experience and ability to promote your skills online is an impressive indicator that you are serious about finding a new career, that you are a professional and that you want them to know about your value.
What do Professional Job Seeker Websites Contain?
There is no better channel to show off these attributes than a website. A website can be used for anyone from medical professionals to artists. The visual nature of websites is great for showing off a portfolio of writing pieces, engineering projects, scientific contributions, awards/certificates and many other accomplishments. A visual representation of your success is unmatched in any other medium.
The contents of websites for job seekers can vary far and wide but generally they should contain a few key elements that hiring managers find valuable:
- A compelling statement about you and what you’re hoping to accomplish. The Interview Guys do a great job of helping you with this step.
- A PDF version of your resume. This resume should be in a modern, concise and easy to read format.
- Your contact information including city, state and email address. We don’t recommend your full address or phone number anywhere on your site.
- Links to your LinkedIn page and any professional social media sites.
- A portfolio of accomplishments with details about the item and positive results associated with it.
- A list, or even better a visual representation of, your soft skills, technology skills and any other hard skills relevant to your profession. These could also include icons and links to professional societies and club for which you are a member.
- Letters of recommendation, testimonial comments about your performance and awards are golden. Don’t underestimate the value of bragging!
How Much Do They Cost and How Do I Get One?
Companies like Wix, Squarespace, Weebly and many others provide do-it-yourself website building tools that typically including hosting services. A domain will also need to be purchased. Building a website using these tools can be a bit technical and limiting if you aren’t familiar with the process, but there are many resources on YouTube for learning how to use them.
To get started, select a template to start with that meets your basic needs. Then replace images with your own to personalize your site. Upload your resume, portfolio pieces, descriptions and the components we discussed above that should be in a professional job seeker website.
This method will cost around $150-$200/year and take roughly 20-40 hours, depending on your technical abilities and the difficulty.
Companies like us at Spot Your Light also offer this service. The process is fast and simple:
- Send us a finished copy of your resume and any images you’d like us to include in your website
- Fill out a quick questionnaire so we know your strengths and goals
We will write all the content and build a site that shows off how awesome you are! Plus, you get 50 free business cards and a coordinating email signature to create your cohesive brand, all for $299. We specialize in helping job seekers step into their very own spotlight!
We’d love to know what has you in the market for a new job. Were you laid off due to the COVID-19 fallout or are you in pursuit of your dream career? Tell us what is motivating you to take the leap!